Monday, April 1, 2013

My Husband

I wanted to take a few moments to write about my husband, David. Anyone who knows him will already know everything that I have to say, but I want to say it anyway. When we got married 7 1/2 years ago, he believed we'd get married, build a house big enough to raise two kids, and live a long, happy life together. Well, we got married, built the house, and then instead of the planned path, he has taken on the job of caring for and supporting me through this sometimes difficult journey that we are on. And it is touching that he can do it so well considering that he also lost his mother to cancer when he was in high school. This disease of mine has been been more unfair to him than to me in some ways.

Despite having to take on a burden that he didn't expect, he has taken it on in stellar fashion. I try not to make things too hard on him, but when needed, he has shouldered "my" tasks as well as his own. He is still working, but luckily he is able to work from home often. So, in addition to his regular job, he is now preparing food and drinks for me on treatment weeks, fetching drugs, feeding the dogs, walking the dogs on his own, going to the store, sometimes more than once a day, to get whatever my shifting whims have dictated. While undergoing treatment, I take nourishment and calories in whatever form I can, and what I can eat/drink/tolerate seems to change a bit each time. And David is right on top of it all. He is even doing "my" garden tasks when asked. :-)

He is doing an amazing job without any complaints. According to the doctors, there's little chance of a cure for me, but we keep fighting each battle to try, and to at least give me long periods of peace and good health. Since David didn't sign up for a life with a wife with cancer, who cannot work outside the home, and who sometimes needs a lot of help, my goal is to give him as many breaks as I can by earning periods of remission that are as long as possible.

I love David very much, and I couldn't have asked for a better partner though this.

7 comments:

  1. I have always said we all are so lucky you have David in your life, and I believe that David and his love for you is why you are still here with us in as good of health that you are at this time. This is the truth as I see it every day. Love to you and David and the furry kids... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me cry! You do have the most amazing husband who takes his vows very seriously...husbands everywhere should learn from him! Way to go Dave!!! I know he loves you very much...and yes, the remission is a must : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing... truly amazing. You are such a beautiful and strong woman and deserving of such a wonderful man! I am happy you have found your mate and partner through life's journey. I wish you both good health and happiness.. xoxo Jen Truman

    ReplyDelete
  4. aurie, I can't find the right words..I am truly speechless. I visited your FB page to thank you for all the work and help you gave to solve a question on the eagles. I stumbled on this and have become overwhelmed with how absolutely awesome you are. I've been reading your blog and all of a sudden, I feel it is such a privilege just to be allowed to read this. I saw your pictures..a story of life, love, fun, devotion, the perfect picture of happiness..THEN...I read THIS. This sat me down. This is something you and your wonderfully devoted husband are dealing with while you work so hard to keep the picture perfect. What a testimony to pure courage and love. Lady...I admire you so much for the way you and your husband have and are handling an unbelievable hard blow. I still can't find the right words to describe how awesome and amazing I think you are. Just can't find the words..but...I know you stand at the top of the ladder with courage, strength of purpose, and love for your world (David and your dogs). I don't pray enough, but I am praying more now..just for you. I feel so humbled by you. You sure stand mighty tall in my book..mighty tall. It is how we deal with things that defines who we are..Laurie..you are one of the best and I sincerely mean that. I pray and wish the best for you. Mavis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Mavis... I think you found the words!! What a nice comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I can't leave out my mom, Delma, and Jen. I always appreciate comments on my blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well... not surprised as David has always been one of my favorite people... but you are both lucky to have found each other. Thoughts and prayers are continually streaming your way from the Biehl household!

    ReplyDelete