Over the last several weeks Theo's bone cancer has continued to progress. I slowly increased his pain medication little by little every 5 or 6 days through this past Wednesday. This last increase helped ease his discomfort, but he was clearly not in touch with the world and he slept most of the day only moving if it was time to eat or someone came by to visit. This is no life for a dog and it would be selfish of me to keep him any longer. It's time for Theo to join Laurie and sleep the painless sleep.I met with the doctor this morning and he agreed that we could play with medications, but he said this is bone pain and there's only so much that can be done and other drugs would be at least as likely to make him as sleeping or out of it. So, with his support I made the difficult decision.
It's been a tough week for me, but I've had good friends and counseling to get me through. Cassie is ever present and there for me as I struggled to assess Theo and do the right thing. Theo has been a constant presence in Cassie's life and she doesn't really know what life is like without him. We will rely on each other for support and comfort in the coming days and weeks.
Here are a couple of videos that the dog walker produced of Theo. They are public facebook, so you should not need an account there.
https://www.facebook.com/seespotrunsanjose/videos/1223716084390327/
https://www.facebook.com/seespotrunsanjose/videos/1223663477728921/


No comments:
Post a Comment