Saturday, February 18, 2017

What's going on with Theo -- An update 2 weeks into chemo

Theo and Cassie on Feb 12, 2017 after a walk in Willow Glen
I realized I should probably post an update on how things are going.  If I've talked to you in person during the last week you know most of what I'm going to say here.

Theo started pill based chemo (Toceranib  aka Paladia) 2 weeks ago.  All his bodily activities have been normal, although it may have a slight reduction in appetite, but it's hard to tell since pain is more of a factor for his appetite.  In general Theo is eating and drinking well, but if he is in discomfort/pain he'll resist eating his food with green beans.  Removing the beans is all it takes for him to eat though.

Theo telling Heather how much he appreciates her visit
Unfortunately, Theo's pain has continued to grow as has his tumor.  In the two weeks since the vet oncologist saw him the tumor has showed progression and I can see that it's grown from it's original size (the ?benefit? of the area around it being shaved).  Earlier this week we went from 2 Tramadol twice a day to 3 pills 3 times a day.  This made a marked change in his behavior and he was much less whiny and appeared more comfortable.  Starting Friday I've begun to wonder if we need to increase the medications again.

We saw the doc on Friday and he said we can go to 4 x 3 if we need on the Tramadol, but it may make Theo groggy.  After that we can add in gabapentin.  Again, this will likely make him groggy.  So we have a couple levels of pain management we can work with.

Theo the happy boy Feb 18, 2017
It's not clear at this point if the Paldia is having much impact.  The doc likes to give it a month to decide if we should continue.

The amazing thing is that Theo's demeanor has generally been good.  If he's not walking he's sweet and loving and the same old boy.  When he walks though it's really tough.  He's still able to get around and is still making a nightly trip to sleep by me.  I am about to go on a brief work trip and I expect that when I come back I'll start sleeping on the first floor so he won't make the trip.  It's a balance between my needs and his.



No comments:

Post a Comment