Yesterday I had my bi-weekly CEA blood test and it has declined further, to 1.9. This is great news. "Normal" levels are anything below 3.0 but my baseline CEA is <0.5, essentially undetectable. My CEA had declined to 0.7 this past January and then it started its climb up and I knew that it was just a matter of time before a scan detected new activity. It was 5.7 on July 7th, before I started this "maintenance" chemotherapy. I'm delighted to watch it decline.
The plan is to do another round of chemo next week and then do another scan shortly afterward to see what's going on. I've also been reading a fascinating book called Anticancer, written by a physician who himself battled brain cancer for 20 years (I just learned from that website that he died last month). So far I have learned that Japanese green tea has extraordinary cancer-fighting properties and so today David and I bought some high-quality green tea for me to drink three times a day. Also I will be learning to like salmon since the omega-3s that it provides fights cancer. Additionally I will try to switch to grass-fed beef and products from grass-fed cattle, organic eggs high in omega-3, and organic chicken. If you'd like to know why then read the book! It is truly eye-opening.
Good deal, looks like your doctors might have suggested the right therapy for you, this "maintenance" chemotherapy. This is wonderful ...betting David is beside himself with love and hope also with this possible load off your shoulders for awhile. And all of the items you are suggesting to drink and eat sure cannot do anything but help. This would be good for anyone I would believe anyway. I am just so thankful this seems to be working and you will not have to face another invasive surgery anytime in the near future, if at all. Love you guys, hugs for you, David and the furry kids. Mom... {^..^}
ReplyDeleteThank you! I'm trying to give my body all of the tools that it can use.
ReplyDeleteI've seen that guy on PBS! Good show, you can get the DVD from PBS. Good luck learning to like Salmon, that's tough for me. It's the fishiest of fish. If you find a recipe that's good, let me know. Whole foods has the yummiest rotisserie chicken, a little pricey, but that's what you have to pay for organic. The less chemicals, the better. Jillian Michaels also has a good book about avoiding chemicals in food and other products, it's pretty hard core. I'm so glad the combination of your immune system and a little 'prescribed poisons' are now kicking ass.
ReplyDeleteDavid gave me the link to the article about CEA and stress.
ReplyDeleteI've been working on changing my eating habits as well but organic is so expensive when you are on a fixed income.
But hang in there Laurie. You just seem to have a great attitude and you are fighting it the whole way.
Remember you have a cheering section that is bigger then you know that is rooting for you.