David and I had a meeting with my oncologist yesterday. There's really not much yet to report. He doesn't think that a surgeon will recommend surgery, but we will be meeting with one on Thursday so we'll know more about that then.I can kind of understand why he would say that. If there are 2-4 more tumors that we can visualize right now then how many more are there that we can't see yet? At some time, they will stop trying to pick them out as they show up. He also said that right now the additional tumors are so small and they aren't threatening any organs so we have time to figure things out.
In addition to meeting with a surgeon on Thursday we will also meet with the top oncologist at Stanford. Between the two guys (and our oncologist) we should get a plan going soonish. I hope to be discussed at their next GI Tumor Board (next Wednesday) and then we can find out what the collective opinion is. We also haven't ruled out conferring with MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston or Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. If nothing else, perhaps one of those two highly regarded cancer centers will have a clinical trial that I can participate in. Also, we are still waiting for the results of the "targeted treatment" assay. This may identify some specific treatment drugs that my particular cancer cells may respond to.
I'll post updates as we learn more.
Well.... looking at anything positive from this is - they seem to be contained? At least you are on top of things and you didn't wait until they are completely invasive. You might want to google Dartmouth in NH, I know they do all kinds of research on colon cancer up there.
ReplyDeleteStay strong!!
Thanks for the updates...Love you, Mom...
ReplyDelete